Never Ignore These Plumbing Problems
A fully functional plumbing system is crucial to every household, but it is commonly forgotten until an issue arises. Since most homeowners would rather avoid a problematic plumbing system, keeping an eye on potential issues is a home maintenance priority. Here are common plumbing problems that require immediate repair before they turn into an emergency:
1. Clogged Toilets and Drains – While a clogged toilet or drain may seem to be minor issues, they shouldn’t be ignored. When stagnant water is not flushed or drained for a couple of days, it emits unpleasant odour. The bacteria may also put your family at risk for health problems.
2. Water Stains – Many homeowners loathe the sight of water stains on ceilings or walls. While these stains affect the aesthetics of the interior, identifying the root cause is priority. Most water stains are a sign of a leak. If this problem is not addressed right away, it may lead to a more serious issue (such as mould and mildew growth and deterioration of the wall, ceiling, or the foundation itself).
3. Frozen Pipes – When winter is around the corner, frozen pipes is a plumbing issue to avoid. If a frozen pipe is not immediately detected, it can potentially burst. Signs of frozen pipes include:
- No water coming out of the faucet or lack of running water
- The drain and faucet emit an unpleasant smell
- Frost forming on the exterior of pipes
4. Dirt Particles in Water – When debris comes out of the tap, it is a clear sign the plumbing system is deteriorating or corroded. The bathtub, because of its lighter colour, is often a place to notice visible dirt particles in water.
5. Low Water Pressure – This common plumbing problem can be troublesome when taking a shower or attempting to wash dishes. Low water pressure is often caused by the accumulation of sediment in faucet aerators. Sediment buildup can be cleaned and removed. If the problem persists, it may signify a more complex problem.
Plumbing problems can happen unexpectedly. While some of them can be fixed with “DIY” repairs, nothing beats the skill and knowledge of a licensed plumber. Please call Abbey Plumbing and Mechanical at (905) 822-0521 to learn more about our expert plumbing services.