Quick Plumbing Tips for a Problem-Free Holiday
The holiday season often brings families and friends together, and is an incredibly inconvenient time for plumbing problems. No one wants to deal with a clogged sink or toilet (or a cold shower) when guests are staying in your home. The plumbing system experiences added pressure with extra people in the house and additional dirty dishes during the holidays.
Plumbing problems can be prevented with some discipline and proper maintenance. Here are some secrets to having a healthy and problem-free plumbing system during the winter holidays:
1. Know where the shut-off valves are located – In case of any plumbing problem, like a leaky faucet or broken pipe, you want to turn off the water immediately to prevent damage to your property and belongings.
2. Avoid frozen pipes – Frozen pipes are a common problem during the winter. Disconnect garden hoses from outdoor faucets (and, if possible, turn off the outside water source). Insulate pipes located in cooler areas, and set the home thermostat to a minimum of 13 degrees Celsius.
3. Never throw oil/fat down the drain – With turkey, latkes, and other greasy dishes being prepared, clogged drains can be a common holiday plumbing problem. Grease thrown down a kitchen sink solidifies once it cools. The buildup eventually clogs the drain, preventing water from running freely. Store used cooking oil in a container and wipe pans with paper towels to remove grease before washing them.
4. Do not flush anything other than toilet paper – Never treat a toilet bowl as a garbage bin by flushing cotton balls, feminine products, facial tissues, paper towels, or even “flushable wipes.” The toilet is designed to dispose human waste and toilet paper only.
5. Use a drain strainer – Place a drain strainer in your sink, shower, and bathtubs to prevent hair and other particles from going down the drain. Over time, debris can accumulate and cause blockage in the drain. Throw away collected particles in the trash bin daily.
Following these plumbing tips can prevent difficulties so you can enjoy the holiday season with family and other guests. For any problems that need immediate repair, call Abbey Plumbing & Mechanical at (905) 822-0521; we serve both residential and commercial clients.