Money-Saving Plumbing Tips This Spring
Are you looking for practical ways to reduce your home maintenance cost this spring season? Conducting a thorough inspection of your plumbing system and fixing any existing issues right away is an effective approach. Your pipes and hoses might have cracks and/or clogs that developed during wintertime.
Here are money-saving plumbing tips to practice this spring:
- Fix faucet leaks – A leaking faucet is one of the main reasons for water waste in the home. Faucet leaks can ruin a sink and can encourage mould and mildew growth; it is essential to repair them right away. While you’re at it, check your toilet for leaks. To prevent clogs, install drain strainers to collect dirt, hair, and soap.
- Check the drains – Check drains regularly. Bathtubs, showers, and sinks are used daily and many people don’t notice how fast or slow the water drains. There are a number of ways to prevent clogs. If you don’t feel confident dealing with this problem yourself, or suspect serious plumbing issues, contact a local, licensed plumber to do the job.
- Check your hot water consistency – If you’ve noticed a change in hot water flow, your water heater could be malfunctioning. If the water is too hot, chances are the unit is using a lot of energy. Get the assistance of a local plumber to see if your system is working properly.
- Ensure toilets flush properly – Toilets could also be another cause of water overuse. If you think you might have a leaking toilet, add some food colour into the toilet tank. If the colouring remains in the bowl after 30 minutes, you are losing water. This requires immediate repair to avoid more serious issues later.
- Keep the sump pump in top shape – Pour a few buckets of water into the sump pump. If it activates, it’s working. Its water supply shutoff valve is only activated during emergencies. Prevent it from sticking by occasionally turning it on and off.
If you need expert assistance in dealing with spring plumbing, contact Abbey Plumbing & Mechanical. We offer a wide range of plumbing services for residential and commercial establishments in Mississauga and nearby areas. Call us at (905) 822-0521.